In an Emergency
- If it’s an emergency in which you or someone you know is suicidal, you should immediately call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room.
- Suggestions about what to say when you call 911 and talk to the police
- Find support from NAMI in your area
- Source: NAMI
These links are provided for informational use. We are are not lawyers. We are not doctors. We are not experts about your specific situation. Please consult a professional if you need help! Wondering why we’re posting links about mental illness? Please read John’s biography, follow our blog, read our FAQ or contact us.
The Basics & The Causes of Mental Illness
- FAQ from Schizophrenia.com
- 2018: Why Is Bipolar Disorder So Misunderstood? — Dr. Margaret Rutherford
- Discover Magazine, 2017: What Can fMRI Tell Us About Mental Illness?
- Washington University in St. Lous, 2014: Schizophrenia not a single disease but multiple genetically distinct disorders
Mental Illness + Heart Disease
Creativity & Giftedness & The Arts
- From Gifted Research and Outreach: When Gifted Individuals Need Medication: Issues, Conflicts and Resolutions
- From Dallas GuideLive: New Dallas festival wants to use music as a medium to talk about mental health
- From AIGA: We Need to Talk About How We Talk About Creativity and Mental Health
- Scientific American: Why are some people more creative than others?
Kids & Teens
- Schizophrenia.com: Improving Baby Mental Health: Article suggests the Circle of Security parenting program
- Stanford University: How can children develop skills to be more resilient?
- Mind Shift: Spreading First Aid for Teens’ Mental Health by Training Adults to Help
- Social and Emotional Needs of the Gifted: Mental Health Providers at Your Child’s School
- Harvard Graduate School of Education: How to Have a Successful IEP Meeting
- American Heart Association: Young people with mood disorders have increased risk of developing early cardiovascular disease
- From NPR: ‘Mental,’ ‘Gorilla And The Bird’: Two Starkly Different Accounts Of Bipolar Disorder
- Brightly: 8 Enlightening and Empathetic YA Novels About Mental Illness
Encounters with Law Enforcement
A list of news reports. Please note that the links below may contain graphic information.
- January 2017 – The Death of Andrew Holland – “San Luis Obispo County Jail inmate died naked on the floor as deputies watched, chilling video shows.”
- The Crime Report: Texas Cops Forge Different Approach to Policing Mentally Ill (2017)
- New Fort Worth police unit is working to reduce mental health calls (2018)
- July 2011 – The Death of Kelly Thomas, Wikipedia
Social Security Disability
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Steps to take if you’re mired in the Social Security disability process
- “Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia by Pamela Spiro Wagner and Carolyn S. Spiro (St. Martin’s Press).
- Cecilia McGough: I Am Not A Monster: Schizophrenia (Facebook)
- Jennifer L Meyers (intentionally not linked, please Google and find it on your own)
- Stack Journey (bi-polar)
- Milt Greek (focus of 2011 NYT article by Benedict Carey)
- Tanya Frank (NYT Essay)